Employment Counsel, North Asia
Posted on Monday, May 1, 2023
#GreatMindsDon’tThinkAlike At Uber, we take pride in our diversity and working environment that sees you as more than just a person that can do the job, but a unique individual that can level up our organization with a perspective only you can offer. Uber provides a truly open culture that encourages all to voice their thoughts. About The TeamOver the last 10 years in APAC, we have seen an evolution of legal and regulatory challenges. From being a start-up bringing our service into new countries and cities, we're now focused on working closely with regulators and partnering with them to build a stronger and more sustainable ecosystem for Uber. We #SeetheForestandtheTrees by being able to know the details and the technical legal issues while also keeping in mind the bigger picture of what the business is trying to achieve. About The RoleWe’re looking for an exceptional lawyer to join our APAC Employment Legal team to support and help lead our growing businesses across North Asia, specifically in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea. This role will be based in either Hong Kong, Japan, or Taiwan.This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a company engaged in cutting-edge technology and focused on solving some of the biggest challenges in the world - including changing the way regulators, courts and legislators think about the future of work. Your Impact in Role
- Serve as the lead lawyer advising Uber’s HR team on the full range of employment matters relating to recruiting, hiring, training, performance management, compensation, benefits, and terminations in North Asia.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of employment documents, including employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, assignment letters, separation agreements and policies and handbooks.
- Partner closely with HR and internal audit on a variety of projects, initiatives, investigations and risk management.
- Advise on risks regarding temporary and outsourced workers, including reviewing and drafting staffing services agreements across North Asia.
- Identify and resolve employment related issues regarding Uber’s business and its relationship with users of the Uber App in our North Asia markets.
- Handle and advise on pre-litigation disputes and employment litigation.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in tax, regulatory legal, product developers and policy and communications teams to pre-empt employment law risks related to Uber’s business, and proactively finding solutions to those issues.
- 5+ years of employment law experience at a top-tier firm and/or in-house with a focus on APAC-wide or North Asia employment law. Employment litigation a plus.
- Ability to operate in English (required) and in one or more of the following languages - Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean.
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to perform in nimble, rapidly changing and growing markets.
- History of driving efficient and strategic use of resources, including other support functions, in-house counsel, vendors and external counsel.
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of the matter, and articulate plans to address them.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience working with senior business leaders.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility and partner with others.
- Passionate about your work and a desire to have a big impact.
- Enthusiastic about Uber!