Senior Editorial Designer, Sherwood Media
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the team:
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in New York, NY or Menlo Park, CA, with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management.
Sherwood Media is Robinhood’s new, independent media brand for news and information about the markets, economics, business, technology, and the culture of money. Sherwood Media is building on the success of Snacks — our daily markets and business newsletter — which has one of the largest audiences in the country.
Sherwood will launch a suite of new editorial offerings throughout 2023, complementing Snacks with more always-on news updates and analysis, original reporting, new newsletter offerings, social-first content, and live events.
Snacks is one of the fastest growing news sources in the finance industry. Our team strives to make financial news more accessible, entertaining and relevant by changing the way it is curated, shared and consumed by the next generation. We serve tens of millions of readers , partner with leading publishers (e.g., Bloomberg), and lead news efforts across newsletters, social media, and within the Robinhood app. We strive to be a 24-hour news team, making real-time decisions based on key events and what our audience cares about.
You're a web-first designer who is as comfortable developing brand guidelines and editorial illustrations as you are crafting website wireframes and tweaking typography. You’re driven to create bold and ambitious creative directions that are – most importantly – accessible to readers of all types and functional for users. You have experience designing ad-supported websites and a keen understanding of responsive design. You may be a good match if you're passionate about systems thinking, creating scalable solutions, and building editorial experiences that are as fabulous to use as they are to understand.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Work alongside editorial to create unique experiences, design-driven stories, and frameworks for systems of design centered around news at every speed
- Partner with editorial, engineering, and product to build scalable design systems for the Sherwood brand and its subsidiaries, working with a web / UX-first mindset
- Contribute to the creative direction of new product launches and improvements
- Engage throughout the editorial product development process to improve the overall experience and ensure consistency
- Lead partners through content-first frameworks, workshops, and strategy
- Share your work with other Designers and provide feedback during weekly crits
- Work with Revenue to understand how product informs ad inventory and site experience for readers
- Conceptualize visual concepts / themes / directions and refine design work
- Demonstrated years of experience designing for web
- Proven track record to push creative boundaries and bring fresh approaches to the editorial space
- Ability to think, concept, and create at a systems level to scale experiences for an expansive surface area
- Eagerness to shape editorial product direction and vision from ideation through post-launch
- Keen awareness and/or appreciation of news & journalistic design systems
- Ability to adapt quickly and work independently in a fast-paced environment with shifting constraints
- Experience collaborating with designers, product managers, user researchers, and editorial teams
- Familiarity working with compliance and legal teams during the design development and approval process
- A portfolio or selection of past work to share
- Love for illustration, 3D, and motion graphics
- An interest in markets and/or economics news
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $170000 - $200000
US Zone 2: $150000 - $176000
US Zone 3: $133000 - $156000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.
Something looks off?