Principal Software Engineer, Payments & Platforms
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the team:
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in Menlo Park, CA, with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management.
Robinhood vision is to become the most trusted, lowest-cost, and most culturally relevant money app worldwide. Payments Engineering organization builds, runs, and maintains all the payment systems vital to provide various payments capabilities and payments products (e.g. savings and spending products, etc.) to fulfill the needs of our customers and Robinhood vision. This team is responsible for building all the platform complexities that come with managing money like money movement rails, accounting services, financial instruments, etc. Platform teams handle horizontal value added services (like Fraud, Identity, Financial-Crime, Money Movement, Customer Care, Risk and Back-office tooling) to enable Payments and other business areas like Brokerage & Crypto to deliver a safer & delightful customer experience.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
As the Tech Lead of Payments & Platforms, you will act as a technical leader, systems architect, problem solver, coder and liaison to all engineering/product groups.
Payments & Platforms Area Tech Lead will be responsible for:
- Crafting and driving the area’s technical strategy and roadmap based on broad and deep understanding of the Payments domain and horizontal platforms.
- Setting technical standards and making strategic technology choices.
- Providing technical leadership via design reviews, project execution, and owning outcomes for the organization
- Up-leveling the overall payments product architecture and designs
- Partnering with product to define the vision of the Payments platform and products
- Guiding implementation and maintenance of Payments & Platform Services.
- As necessary, going deep into technical areas (e.g. Postgres, MemCache, Kafka) with hands-on approach to root-cause tough correctness or performance issues.
- Continuously improving reliability, scalability, and correctness of all services within Payments while holding the highest security standards.
- Continuously improving operational excellence, efficiency, and sustainability of all production services.
- Mentoring senior and staff engineers and up-leveling the engineering organization.
- Making hard tradeoffs about taking on or paying down technical debt while making forward progress on new products and features.
- Collaborating with other Area Tech Leaders across Robinhood, to ensure that Robinhood’s overall technical direction is coherent, effective, and efficient while balancing that against Payments’s technical needs driven by unique challenges.
- Recruiting Staff+ engineers for Robinhood.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- 3+ years technically leading large engineering organizations with multiple teams.
- Strong technical judgment and expertise with a focus on reliability, scalability, and correctness.
- Exceptional communication, leadership, and influence skills.
- Strong partnership and multi-functional collaboration skills.
- Ability to quickly learn complicated business domains in a highly regulated space.
- Experience with teams that work in a highly-collaborative fashion and focus on optimizing for customer value.
- Python + Django/Golang/Postgres architectures
- Experience with financial systems.
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Golang as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store, Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
- Kafka as our task queue.
- Deployed using Kubernetes in AWS Cloud.
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $278000 - $327000
US Zone 2: $245000 - $288000
US Zone 3: $217000 - $255000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.
Something looks off?