Rent the Runway
iOS Engineer, Consumer Engineering
About Rent the Runway
Founded in 2009, Rent the Runway is disrupting the trillion-dollar fashion industry and changing the way women get dressed through the Closet in the Cloud, the world’s first and largest shared designer closet. RTR’s mission has remained the same since its founding: powering women to feel their best every day. Through RTR, customers can subscribe, rent items a-la-carte and shop resale from hundreds of designer brands. The Closet in the Cloud offers a wide assortment of millions of items for every occasion, from evening wear and accessories to ready-to-wear, workwear, denim, casual, maternity, outerwear, blouses, knitwear, loungewear, jewellery, handbags, activewear, ski wear, home goods and kidswear. RTR has built a two-sided discovery engine, which connects deeply engaged customers and differentiated brand partners on a powerful platform built around its brand, data, logistics and technology. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list four times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100: Most Influential People in the World" and as one of People Magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
Rent The Runway established its European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, the growing team in Galway tackles core technology challenges and influences the next generation of services critical to Rent The Runway’s success and continued growth.
The Galway office is Rent the Runway's first international office outside the US and enables the company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Machine Learning Engineering and Data Science footprint. Rent The Runway’s Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles and career paths in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We are a collaborative and supportive group that practices continuous learning and development.
About the Job:
At Rent the Runway, you will architect, design, develop, deploy our iOS app, which is the platform of choice for our 100k+ subscribers (they use the app on average 3-4 times a week!). We are looking for someone who can drive development and delivery, architecture & evangelize best practices in mobile. We believe that every person deserves a “Cinderella” experience, whether they are a first time user or monthly subscriber. Many of our millions of members have used Rent the Runway for the most important events in their lives, and in the process, we are changing the meaning of ownership and revolutionizing retail.
What You'll Do:
- Create and maintain features in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Participate in technical discussions on building product features and the technical vision of a modern and composable/scalable app.
- Be an advocate of the iOS platform and promote and employ software development best practices.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams across Engineering, Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design.
- Drive continuous improvement for the release process.
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience.
- You have 3+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- You have professional experience building iOS applications using Swift, and bonus points for familiarity with SwiftUI and/or The Composable Architecture.
- You are comfortable working with various architectural patterns and understand when best to apply them.
- You have a strong command of algorithms, data structures, and best practices.
- You have a passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity.
- You’re able to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- You’re able to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.