Engineer II - Quality Engineering
Rent the Runway
Engineer II, Quality Engineering
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, RTR established our European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, our growing team is tackling core technology challenges and influencing the next generation of services critical to RTR’s success and continued growth.
Our first international office outside the US enables our company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Machine Learning Engineering and Data Science footprint, and RTR’s Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
Our Quality Engineering team thinks like our users, partnering with our Software Engineers to build features that create a seamless experience for our customers. Operating as a central QE department, with team members working as members of our agile product teams, we embed best practices and effective processes across the Technology and Product organisation. The purpose of this role is to identify opportunities to streamline our processes and improve code quality and the user experience through automation.
About the Role:
As we embark on our journey of continuously improving and building out our automation capability, RTR is looking for an Engineer to lead and guide multiple test automation efforts; improve our build, deploy and test workflows; increase confidence in our systems and mitigate risk through automation. Knowledge of software testing methodologies, automation best practices, and software development life cycle (SDLC) will support further efficiencies in our engineering teams.
You will have experience working with teams of engineers, as an Automation Engineer, and leading automation initiatives; you are detail oriented, understand application development methodologies and want to apply your technical skills to build out automated test systems and deployment pipelines.
If you are a self-starter, passionate about test automation and a building culture of quality and want to work with a fun group of talented and driven engineers, this is the right role for you.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop and execute automation scripts using open source tools (Jest and Cypress.io), debugging and defining corrective actions for a complex microservices system
- Translate business requirements into detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases. Estimate, prioritise, plan and coordinate quality testing activities
- Decompose the system to test services and existing functionality in isolation and also perform larger end-to-end tests
- Develop and improve our test automation frameworks by leveraging cloud infrastructure and implementing the necessary CI/CD pipelines
- Improve our deployment approval processes to allow for automated testing and deployments to testing, pre-Production and production environments - create and help improve these environments.
- Partner with the Engineering teams, to review quality specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful risk assessment and feedback
- Ensure detailed reporting to provide assessment of product quality to project stakeholders and track quality assurance metrics, e.g. defect densities and open defect counts
- Experience with RESTful APIs and Asynchronous Communication (AMQP, RabbitMQ), preferably in a microservices architecture environment.
- Experience with non-functional and load testing frameworks (Gatling, JMeter, Flood.io/Element)
- Experience creating and maintaining CI/CD Pipelines, preferably Jenkins, and integrating the automated testing suites in the pipeline
- Good understanding and experience with cloud and containerization principles (Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform).
- Solid analytical skills to troubleshoot problems and find areas for improvement - experience with logging frameworks and tools (e.g. Splunk, Loggly), monitoring and APM tools (e.g. SignalFX, New Relic, Datadog)
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - This a hybrid role based in our Galway, Ireland office. Employees have to option to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.