Sr. Mechanical Engineer
At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services to keep all mouths healthy.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to help continue this mission. The ideal candidate will drive both new product development as well continuous improvement efforts for existing products..
The ideal candidate will drive NPI, VA/VE, and CI efforts.
Base Salary: 100-135k
This range represents anticipated base salary range for this position, in addition to competitive benefits and equity (as applicable). We carefully assess and consider several factors with each candidate, including location, role-related knowledge, experience and skills. Compensation may vary based on these considerations.
- NPI (New Product Introduction)
- Work closely with ID, Engineering, Marketing, and leadership to formulate new products.
- Own the engineering of products from concept through mass production.
- Collaborate to develop product and technical requirements.
- Drive optimization through analytical and experimental methods including FEA and Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Collaborate with quip’s Reliability & Quality Engineers and suppliers to identify and eliminate risks, validate designs, and prepare them for mass production.
- Lead design reviews and contribute to FMEA, test plans, and test procedures.
- Drive advanced R&D. Research and outreach as needed to build organizational competency required to specify and implement new technology, materials, and finishes.
- VAVE (Value Analysis/Value Engineering)
- Evaluate all aspects of products’ design, manufacturing processes, and supplier for cost reduction opportunities.
- Prioritize initiatives and guide them through design, engineering, RFQ, validation, and implementation to mass production.
- CI (Continuous Improvement)
- Lead post-launch sustaining activities and Conduct Root-Cause-Analysis for product quality problems, working closely with quip’s Quality and Operations teams.
- Review existing product designs, identify weaknesses, propose, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of improvements.
- Contribute to the review/audit of manufacturing processes and quality systems at suppliers.
- General Responsibilities
- Act as technical lead to drive projects and report progress throughout quip’s structured development process.
- Produce exemplary documentation including presentations, drawings, test reports, test procedures, etc.
- Travel internationally (when appropriate) to work with suppliers on-site.
- Attend evening calls with team members and suppliers in Asia. (Typically 2 nights per week)
- 6+ years of experience in Design Engineering, with a focus on high-volume electronic consumer products
- Experience working with overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Solidworks – high proficiency with surfacing, top-down modeling, simulation, assemblies, and 2D drafting
- High cavitation injection molding, 2K molding, sheet metal forming, and machining process experience
- Deep knowledge of materials, processes, assembly, electronics, and production methods
- Strong sense of high-volume data as an input to engineering analysis
- Track record of outreach to subject matter experts and referring to industrial guides and standards to solve complex problems or answer difficult questions
- Ability to deftly and rapidly create proof-of-concept and cosmetic prototypes using a mix of outsourced and in-house fabrication methods
- Extensive experience in risk assessment/reduction and design validation.
- Extensive experience collaborating with suppliers through DFM, including optimizing mold designs and utilizing mold flow analysis
- Working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong project management skills to manage a broad set of tasks and responsibilities
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) or Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering strongly preferred
NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience with motors
- Experience with the specification, finishing, and quality control of magnets
- Experience with IPX qualified products that require defense against moisture ingress
- Advanced knowledge of CNC, flow forming, spin forming, anodizing, bead blasting, plating, PVD, and other finishing processes
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Competitive medical benefits, quip covers 95% of medical coverage for employees, starting your first day of employment.
- Free dental benefits as part of quip's Dental Program (NYC Residents)
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits (~30% savings)
- Dependent care FSA
- Entire quip product line, refill plan, and employee discount
- $400 incentivized gym reimbursement through our insurance
- Open Vacation Policy
- Computer and supplies provided
- Employee Assistance Program, including mental health resources
- Fully-stocked kitchen with kombucha, cold brew, and beer on tap
- Fun and inclusive culture! We offer People Resource Groups including quip Pride and quip Womxn’s Network and Interest Groups like quip Book Club.
- Team and company happy hours
- quip Swag
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Competitive paid parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly office
- Sequoia Smartspend, offering discounts on things like travel, car rentals, cell phone plans, home goods, pet insurance, and more.
- High potential for growth in a start-up atmosphere
quip is a modern oral health company launched in 2015 that provides thoughtfully designed personal oral care products and professional dental care services through a digital platform that makes oral care more simple, accessible, and enjoyable. The current personal care offerings include a wide selection of American Dental Association accepted (ADA seal) adult and kid electric toothbrushes, smart brushes, refillable floss pick and string, refillable mouthwash and gum, all kept fresh with a refill delivery service. quip’s professional platform, which is behind quip Aligners and quipcare, is part of the company's future vision to connect personal care, oral health monitoring and professional care in one digital oral care companion app that helps access and manage all your oral care needs and guide and incentivize good oral health habits.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.