Sr. Hardware Quality Engineer
At quip, we design and deliver delightful products and services that keep your mouth healthy. As a Senior Hardware Quality Engineer on the Hardware Product Operations team, you will be responsible for managing end-to-end quality of the hardware (i.e. toothbrushes, flossers, dispensers, etc.) within quip’s product portfolio.
The ideal candidate would have a proven track record in managing quality for both components and finished goods. This role requires an in-depth understanding of materials, manufacturing processes, and significant experience in quality management. Data analysis and reporting skills are critical to this role.
This is a hybrid role and will require ~3 days a week in HQ in Dumbo, Brooklyn.
Base Salary: $110k-$130k
This range represents anticipated base salary range for this position, in addition to competitive benefits and equity (as applicable). We carefully assess and consider several factors with each candidate, including location, role-related knowledge, experience and skills. Compensation may vary based on these considerations.
- Serve as the primary Quality contact point for both quality assurance and quality control for electronic and hardware product development through end of life
- Prevent customer satisfaction and durability issues by coordinating Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA’s), product design specifications and tolerances reviews, past problem history, and supplier development.
- Establish and ensure conformance to engineering standards, product specifications, and highest customer expectations
- Develop and release product/process control plans, inspection standards, quality and testing plans and instructions, visual work instructions, technical specifications, and various manufacturing validations.
- Contain defective products through ownership of problem definition (8D’s), Root Cause Analysis (RCA’s), dispositions review, tracking of resolution effectiveness, and Containment coordination.
- Detect non-conformances and process variations through use and standardization of SPC systems, Change Control management, and both Internal auditing and Layered Process auditing.
- Lead cross-functional problem solving teams to drive process and product improvements; use of QA methodologies to manage and facilitate issue resolution including root cause investigations and the development, implementation and monitoring of effective corrective and preventive actions.
- Track and improve performance to internal and external quality performance metrics.
- Conducts investigations and Root Cause Analysis derived from Customer Complaints, RMAs, CAPAs, Manufacturing Process Data, Product Teardowns, and Field Audits
- Creates, edits and/or revises Test Method Validations, SOPs, WIs, and Product Specifications in support of continuous improvement.
- Accurately and thoroughly responds to customer requests for quality data or quality inquiries.
- Conducts employee training as required (i.e., GMP, Root Cause Analysis and best practices).
- Supports company goals and objectives, policies and procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices, and applicable FDA, ISO, and other regulatory requirements. Acts as a Quality ambassador for the company to promote Quality culture.
- Onboards and manages suppliers to quality performance targets; tracking and trending supplier performance with scorecards
- Support and monitor suppliers compliance to FDA requirements, ISO 13485, ISO 9001, etc.
- Provide input to the supplier selection process
- 7+ years of experience in quality engineering or related field such as Engineering or Manufacturing
- Analytical curiosity and ability to solve complex problems using data
- Experience completing quality deliverables during new product development and into production
- Broad general mechanical and electrical engineering knowledge
- Working knowledge of some or all: ISO 13485 and/or 21 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 820 Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Quality Systems Regulation (QSR), ISO 9001
- Experience developing and implementing sampling plans, IQ/OQ/PQ, and process controls
- Six Sigma/Lean certification preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, internal and external to the company.
- Good interpersonal skills in dealing with a global supplier chain, peers and other functional areas
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally
- You'll be working in a high energy, fast-paced environment helping us make oral care simple and effective!
- An office located in the heart of DUMBO with breathtaking views of Manhattan Bridge
- Competitive medical benefits, quip covers 95% of medical coverage for employees, starting your first day of employment.
- Free dental benefits as part of quip's Dental Program (NYC Residents)
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits (~30% savings)
- Dependent care FSA
- Entire quip product line, refill plan, and employee discount
- $400 incentivized gym reimbursement through our insurance
- Open Vacation Policy
- Computer and supplies provided
- Employee Assistance Program, including mental health resources
- Fully-stocked kitchen with kombucha, cold brew, and beer on tap
- Fun and inclusive culture! We offer People Resource Groups including quip Pride and quip Womxn’s Network and Interest Groups like quip Book Club.
- Team and company happy hours
- quip Swag
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Competitive paid parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly office
- Sequoia Smartspend, offering discounts on things like travel, car rentals, cell phone plans, home goods, pet insurance, and more.
- High potential for growth in a start-up atmosphere
quip is a modern oral health company launched in 2015 that provides thoughtfully designed personal oral care products and professional dental care services through a digital platform that makes oral care more simple, accessible, and enjoyable. The current personal care offerings include a wide selection of American Dental Association accepted (ADA seal) adult and kid electric toothbrushes, smart brushes, refillable floss pick and string, refillable mouthwash and gum, all kept fresh with a refill delivery service. quip’s professional platform, which is behind quip Aligners and quipcare, is part of the company's future vision to connect personal care, oral health monitoring and professional care in one digital oral care companion app that helps access and manage all your oral care needs and guide and incentivize good oral health habits.
quip is committed to promoting equality, inclusion, and diversity beyond your brushing routine. We believe our company is better equipped to care for every mouth when we listen to fresh perspectives from every voice, and in doing so, we build an equal-opportunity team of the brightest minds (and mouths)—regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, identity, or any other trait that makes you you. By celebrating and supporting our differences, we will thrive in our mission to improve oral health for all.