Principal Software Engineer
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2023
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven, fast-growth, venture backed SaaS company (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Cox, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud software for local governments and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,800+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner, Top 25 Highest Rated Cloud Companies to Work For, and a Forbes 2022 America's Best Startup Employer!
Please see this video from John Chambers about OpenGov India
The Principal Software Engineer will build best-in-class SaaS solutions that enable efficiency, transparency, and accountability within government agencies. This position is a key member of the Platform engineering team and our larger R&D organization, helping support the foundation on which all OpenGov applications depend. Lead development of new features on a modern tech stack while driving continuous improvement for the team.
What You’ll Be Working On
• Architect, design, and develop robust APIs, microservices, and data models.
• Build services with a strong focus on latency, availability, and scalability.
• Build, test, and deploy with technologies like AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, GitHub Actions, and ArgoCD.
• Support, troubleshoot, and monitor production systems.
• Act as a key contributor to the analysis and evolution of scenarios that are pivotal to future sustained growth and success, and act as an evangelist for robust technical foundations.
• Collaborate with stakeholders across Design, Product Management, and Engineering.
• Be part of a culture-focused, globally distributed team.
Skills That Will Help You Succeed
• 7+ years of professional experience shipping scalable SaaS products
•7+ years experience with a modern, high-level language (ideally Java).
• 7+ years of professional experience with relational and non-relational databases.
• 3+ years in a team leadership role (team lead, principal, senior, staff, etc)
• 3+ years of professional experience with a cloud provider (ideally AWS).
• Experience building large-scale, consumer-facing enterprise SaaS software.
• Design and development of REST APIs.
• Experience designing microservices connected by stream processing, Kafka preferred.’
• Strong hands-on Kubernetes experience
• Experience in optimizing applications for speed and scalability.
• Experience driving team improvement through process improvement and mentoring.
• Strong communication skills and a desire for transparency.
• Experience working as part of an agile team (Scrum or Kanban).
Nice To Haves
• Working experience with React
• Experience with domain-driven design
• Experience with serverless, including scaling and deployment strategies.
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, late stage venture backed company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Awarded Top 25 Cloud Companies to Work For, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.