Senior User Experience Researcher
United States · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Curology is creating the next generation of skincare through customized treatment plans and formulas with powerful prescription ingredients for acne and anti-aging. We believe great skin shouldn’t be a luxury, but a fact of life.
You will play a vital role in shaping our understanding of user needs so Curology can deliver a best-in-class digital experience to our current and potential customers. Responsible for leveraging user research to shape how the business understands and prioritizes the user’s experience, as well as partnering with cross functional teams to ensure a seamless experience across digital and physical products. You will help drive a consumer-driven mindset across the org by instilling an understanding of the end-to-end user experience and advocating for the consumer across the org.
You possess a strong understanding of quantitative and qualitative user research methods, along with a background in digital and consumer products and can leverage insights to make actionable recommendations to improve the digital experience.
We value a diverse range of perspectives and backgrounds and are looking for a mixed methods user researcher who is:
- Passionate about the user (at Curology, we think of the user holistically - they are also consumers, customers, shoppers, patients)
- An excellent communicator with high emotional intelligence and a great collaborator
- Knowledgeable about a variety of research methods and open to learning new methods
- Committed to high-quality and rigorous research
- Comfortable in a fast-moving organization
Essential Functions and Impact Areas:
- Develop and own the UX Research roadmap to inform key Product initiatives, prioritizing inquiries from stakeholders or identifying areas of contextual inquiry for the business to focus on.
- Personally initiate and conduct research across the product lifecycle to build a stronger foundational knowledge of our users. Research will consist of a mix of discovery, problem validation, foundational research, and strategic research projects.
- Conduct generative research to identify new opportunities and add clarity to the problem space, maximizing the impact of the work of the product and design teams.
- Demonstrate, explain, and teach others how to apply a range of research methods, understanding the balance and trade-offs between smart, scrappy research and rigor.
- Partner with Design, Product, Engineering, Insights, and Commercial teams to build in research at multiple stages of the product development process.
- Build on and scale the existing operation for UXR at Curology.
- Shape or reframe the UXR and Design culture, processes, and documentation at Curology.
- 5+ years of user research experience, preferably with experience in a lead role or primary point of contact for a company and/or product area with many stakeholders.
- A high level of emotional intelligence and accountability, always leading by example with empathy and humility while being willing to proactively uncover and mitigate potential biases.
- Partnered with product, design and engineering to influence the strategy and vision that drives digital product development.
- Experience leading and conducting generative and foundational user research and creating frameworks and experience maps.
- Proficient in using various user research tools & testing platforms (i.e. Usertesting.com, Figma, Amplitude, etc.).
- Led research projects from proposal to a live product, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- The ability to work independently but also collaborate cross-functionally, with the opportunity to mentor and support researchers and designers.
- Can effectively synthesize the most important insights and communicate recommendations clearly and succinctly to all levels in the org.
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to translate broad vision into an overarching research plan.
- Experience working on both consumer goods and direct-to-consumer businesses is a plus.
- A web link or a PDF to your portfolio is nice to have but not required.
Physical Characteristics of Work Environment:
- Remote-based work environment
- Typing and computer usage throughout the day
- 9-5 business hours M-F (business hours may depend on regional and local timezones)
- Occasional travel requirements to offsite meetings
Our mission is simple: to make personalized skincare accessible and convenient for all. Awarded #3 for 2021 Best Workplaces in the Bay Area and 2021 Forbes #4 Best Startup Employers, Curology is a leader in direct-to-consumer eCommerce and has been featured in Vogue, Allure, Harper’s Bazaar, and Business Insider. We collaborate to achieve our goals and strive to embody our core values: Accountability, Team First & Inclusivity.
Curology encourages applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities for employment. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records Notice to Applicants under the CCPA.
Curology participates in E-Verify.