Senior Data Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2023
As a team, Data Engineering enables teams throughout the company to make decisions with data they feel confident in. Data underpins virtually everything we do at Curology—from a truly individualized patient experience, to efficient business operations, to cutting edge Marketing workflows. Data Engineering is the foundation a data driven company is built on. For this role, we believe in the following:
Data as a product. We believe the true potential of Foundation teams lies in a product-oriented mindset and that this is even more relevant to data.
Exceptional impact. Data Engineers are force-multipliers that enable others to work better and faster. Data is deeply integrated into what we do, this role and team are key to our continued success.
Modern data stack. We use the best tools for the job and you will be part of growing and cultivating our modern data stack. AWS, Snowflake, our S3 Data Lake, we build for the future.
A talented and passionate team. Our small team of data engineers has achieved outsize results by maintaining a high bar for ownership and product quality.
In this role, you will:
- Design, manage and optimize the flow of data throughout the organization.
- Utilize a modern stack to build a cloud-first product.
- Work closely with application and site reliability engineers to ensure data quality, integrity and availability.
- Work with the team to integrate consistent and high coding standards.
- Automate manual processes by working closely with teams like Marketing, BizOps, and Product to discover opportunities for programmatic efficiency.
- Work on initiatives to keep our system elegant and productivity high — such as improving our metrics, analytics, and experimentation infrastructure.
- Keep Privacy and Data Protection (PDP) the first-order consideration of data.
- Respond quickly to data strike team requests.
You will be successful if you have:
- At least 5 years experience building software with Python.
- Write idiomatic python.
- Write object oriented and reusable code.
- Familiar with industry standard coding and documentation best practices.
- At least 6 years experience modeling SQL and noSQL data.
- Understand the tradeoffs between different database models.
- Given an analysis problem, suggest data models and key reasons for choices.
- Know major data warehousing tools and concepts.
- Used Airflow or other job schedulers to develop and monitor batch data pipelines.
- Strong expertise in data architecture for efficiency of storage and retrieval of data, especially in modern usage-based systems.
- Experience with AWS data services.
- Worked with modern database systems, especially Snowflake.
- Worked with permissions and regulated or controlled data (HIPAA/GDPR/CCPA/FDA).
- Experience with the following technologies: Python, MySQL, Snowflake, Airflow, Terraform, AWS
- Passionate about getting the right data to the right person.
- High emotional intelligence and a kind demeanor.
- Willing to lead in areas of strength and learn new skills when needed.
- Has earned the trust and respect of other members of the Data Engineering Team.
- Engages in significant thought leadership within the Data Team.
- Reaches out to other departments and areas of the company to build relationships.
- Anticipates problems before they arise and devises solutions to those problems.
- Takes a leading role in documenting post-mortems after problems arise.
- Is able to fully architect, build and deploy a solution with no supervision.
- Handles Strike Team tickets quickly and efficiently.
- Is an expert in all of the technologies that Data Engineering works with on a weekly basis.
- Understands advanced Snowflake capabilities, as well as when and how to use them.
- Worked with Apache Spark or other Big Data tools.
- Built systems at scale with AWS Lambda or a similar serverless technology.
- Worked closely with Marketing teams and having a deep understanding of paid channel automation.
Additional Optional Skills
You will love working at Curology because:
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Comprehensive benefits: medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees; flexible spending account; 401k; mental health & wellness programs
- $75 WFH stipend (remote employees)
- Home office setup stipend (remote employees)
- Minimum Time Off policy (unlimited PTO, with at least 3 weeks off) for exempt employees
- 11 company observed holidays
- Additional holidays: Curology days off (1 per quarter), 1 annual floating holiday (employee’s choice), and Gratitude Week (employees take the full week of Thanksgiving off; business critical teams observe different days)
- Paid parental leave
- pre-tax commuter benefits
- Employee donation matching program
- Company-sponsored events
- Free subscription to Curology or Agency
The base salary for this position will be between $150,000 to $190,000 depending on your experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Curology encourages applications from people of all races, religions, national origins, genders, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions and ages, as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Notice to Applicants under the CCPA.