Senior Manager, EHS
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
Environmental, health, and safety (EHS) is mission critical to Astra's success. You’ll be joining team of topnotch EHS professionals. Our team partners will key shareholders across different lines of business, operations, and manufacturing in order to safely achieve Astra’s mission.
The Sr. Manager, EHS is responsible for supporting complex technical work within a wide range of EHS disciplines and managing various EHS programs and policies. EHS Specialists play a key role in managing safe workplace operations, ensuring compliance, and enhancing safety culture at Astra. They work closely with engineering, production, and leadership to develop and implement functional and scalable EHS programs and policies at Astra.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission:
- Manage day-to-day EHS operations at Astra
- Develop, implement, and own EHS programs and policies
- Reduce risk through qualitative and quantitative risk assessments for both R&D and manufacturing operations
- Improve Astra operations and workplace design to minimize hazard potential
- Develop and maintain strong communication between teams within the Astra organization
- Lead EHS programs such as hazard communication, emergency response, life safety, ergonomics, respiratory protection, hearing conservation, lock-out/tag-out, machine guarding, fall protection, electrical safety, risk assessments, incident management, hazardous waste, and spill prevention
- Lead incident analysis to determine root cause(s), prevention, and corrective measures
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal EHS requirements
- Develop and conduct EHS training
- Advocate EHS by bolstering a strong and committed safety culture throughout Astra
- Perform fast-paced with self-motivation, strong initiative, and creative problem-solving
Why We Value You:
- 7+ years of experience within an EHS role.
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety, environmental studies/science or a related field.
- Subject-matter expertise in specific EHS disciplines.
- Thorough knowledge of local, state, and federal EHS regulations.
- Demonstrated ability of developing, implementing, and managing EHS programs and policies.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to obtain buy-in for safety initiatives across an organization.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to perform both independently and part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize activities according to changing needs in a dynamic environment.
Desired Multipliers :
- Master’s degree in occupational health and safety or a related field.
- ASP/CSP-certified or other industry certifications (CIH, CHMM, etc.).
- Experience in aerospace and/or manufacturing.
- Experience with environmental cleanup sites.
- Experience working with ITAR-compliant facilities.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.