Senior Quality Engineer, Spacecraft Engine
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
As a Senior Quality Engineer at Astra, you will be tasked with the unique challenge to further enhance the maturity of Astra's quality management system and ensure defined processes and customer requirements are adhered to in regard to space craft engine manufacturing. As Astra scales up production of its Space Craft Engines, we need to further iterate on business processes, systems, and controls to ensure our hardware meets the highest level of quality and reliability for our customers. Astra is seeking an individual who has a strong technical background with regard to electro mechanical and mechanical assemblies and has a boots-on-the-ground type approach for problem-solving.
This role will be the second dedicated quality engineer for our space craft engine program, and will report directly to the chief engineer to apply more rigor to our existing quality program in order to create a world-class spacecraft engine manufacturing operation. The ideal candidate has extensive quality engineering and management experience working on high-reliability products, is self-driven and autonomous, and has demonstrated ability to scale up a quality system and processes in an efficient way. The ideal candidate would also have background and experience in contract manufacturing to apply skills and expertise in managing unique requirements for a variety of customers.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Play a crucial role in ensuring that all Spacecraft engine assemblies and processes meet the required quality standards defined in Astra Quality Management System documentation
- Develop Astra's internal auditing process and implement internal audits to ensure manufacturing process are in compliance with Astra's internal quality standards
- Lead First Article Inspection initiatives in compliance with AS9102C - Aerospace Series - First Article Inspection Requirements
- Responsible for leading technical build work, quality inspections, and assisting in the development of inspection criteria for critical parts and assemblies.
- Responsible for standardizing inspections, tests, and measurements to validate compliance with specifications and customer requirements
- Standardize how Astra performs documentation review and verification of certifications, specifications, and conformance to customer and design requirements
- Communicate with leadership, internal customers and suppliers to resolve inspection discrepancies, manufacturing nonconformance's, documentation issues, and/or quality management system nonconformance's
- Resolve nonconformance and documentation issues, support Quality Management System policies and procedure documentation, assesses compliance to company and industry standards, and participate in continual improvement and lean manufacturing initiatives
- Communicate effectively with leadership and key stakeholders to resolve roadblocks in a timely and accurate manner to ensure delivery and on-time receipt status
- Lead Astra's Pre-Ship review process and validate compliance to customer requirements and ensure the highest quality is achieved.
- Develop a process validation framework for qualifying new manufacturing processes, and work with production engineering teams to implement.
- Create metrics and tools to monitor the success of products and processes in production, including product yield and statistical process control (SPC).
- Lead and standardize execution of Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEAs) and development and implementation of control plans.
- Conduct regular build quality reviews to ensure that design intent is achieved and well-communicated.
- Define electrostatic discharge (ESD) and cleanliness requirements and control processes in the factory.
- Assist production/engineering leadership team by identifying opportunities for risk reduction and removal of complexity in designs and processes to improve manufacturability
Why We Value You
- Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years experience in quality engineering or quality management role.
- Familiarity with implementing QMS standards such as AS9100 and ISO9001.
- Familiarity with Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessels standards such as AIAA S-081B.
- Experience with Cleanroom Environment Protocols and best practices.
- Hands-on experience qualifying and maintaining manufacturing processes for electronics and/or mechanical assemblies.
- Experience reviewing design documentation and implementing first-article inspection plans.
- Strong SQL and Python skills, and demonstrated ability to manage large data sets and create useful tools/dashboards/reports for others.
- Demonstrated application of process validation and control methods such as PFMEA, design of experiments (DOE), and statistical process control (SPC).
- Ability to use common CAD, PLM, and ERP systems such as Siemens Teamcenter and NX
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal. Ability to produce executive-level reports and presentations to efficiently convey information about large data sets.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.