Customer Program Manager
Customer Service, Operations
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
We are the Program Management Team, and we are dedicated to providing Astra with a competitive edge by orchestrating the execution of engineering, manufacturing, testing, and launch efforts at an industry-leading pace, specifically within our Spacecraft Engine Program. We seamlessly blend traditional program management techniques with agile principles to drive innovation and success. Our mission is to maintain a relentless focus through radical prioritization, anticipate and mitigate threats proactively, and continuously enhance our human-centered processes to enable data-driven decision-making. As a Customer Program Manager for the Spacecraft Engine Program, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of Astra's space endeavors.
Astra's Spacecraft Engine Program encompasses the design and development of cutting-edge propulsion systems essential for space exploration. As a Customer Program Manager, you will assume responsibility for ensuring the timely delivery of these spacecraft engines, keeping us on track to advance the next generation of propulsion technology while working closely with our valued customers.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Develop ambitious yet achievable schedules for delivering spacecraft engines, coordinating interfaces and integration points across all development teams within the Spacecraft Engine Program.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional stakeholders, spanning Engineering, Analysis, Manufacturing, and Test, to ensure precise development, rigorous testing, seamless integration, and accurate operation of our spacecraft engines, while maintaining a strong customer focus.
- Provide valuable insights on program status, the critical path, risks, and opportunities, using a comprehensive view of the Spacecraft Engine Program schedule sourced from all teams. Use these insights to optimize resource allocation, make strategic decisions, and maintain progress toward an aggressive yet attainable timeline, all while keeping our customers informed.
- Unify teams in addressing complex multi-stakeholder decisions within the Spacecraft Engine Program, leveraging your understanding of technical and business aspects, while ensuring that customer requirements are met.
- Inspire our teams within the Spacecraft Engine Program to collaborate harmoniously, working towards common goals and successfully advancing the next generation of propulsion technology and ensuring our customers' needs are met.
Why We Value You
- 5+ years of experience in program/project management for complex product development programs, specifically within spacecraft engine development
- Profound understanding of both agile and waterfall management techniques
- Technical background with the ability to engage on technical topics when necessary to comprehend schedules and drive execution
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with cross-functional stakeholders to facilitate program execution, including a strong focus on customer satisfaction
- Comfort with ambiguity, coupled with the ability to create structure when required
- Exceptional leadership and organizational skills
- Outstanding communication skills, catering to audiences ranging from junior engineers to senior executives and customers
- A structured and top-down approach to problem-solving, complemented by the ability to engage on technical topics when necessary to drive execution
- Proficiency with common project management tools, including Smartsheet and Jira
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline or equivalent technical experience
- An advanced degree in an area of specialization, particularly in Engineering or an MBA
- Project Management Certification
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.