HIL Technical Leader
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
We’re looking for a Technical Leader to oversee the development and implementation of a Hardware In the Loop (HIL) and Training Simulator Environment. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading a team of engineers and developers in designing and delivering a state-of-the-art HIL and Training Simulator Environment to support the testing and validation of our aerospace products. The role requires a combination of technical expertise, leadership skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with cross-functional teams.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop Hardware In the Loop (HIL) and Training Simulator systems for the Astra Launch System 2.0
- Develop and implement hardware and software testing strategies, ensuring that all simulation systems are accurate and reliable.
- Work closely with stakeholders to identify and prioritize requirements and ensure that the simulation systems meet their needs.
- Monitor and analyze performance data to identify areas for improvement and implement solutions to enhance the simulation systems.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant standards and regulations, including safety, quality, and data privacy.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- 7+ years of experience in hardware design and development, with at least 3 years of experience leading technical teams
- Experience with HIL and Training Simulator Environments for aerospace products
- Familiarity with simulation and modeling tools such as MATLAB/Simulink and Python
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and manage teams
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
Why We Value You
- Extensive experience in the design and development of a HIL
- Vision for integrating a HIL system into a Launch Simulator
- Strong leadership skills, with experience managing teams and mentoring team members.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality products on time and within budget.
- In-depth knowledge of hardware and software testing strategies and tools.
- Experience working with simulation software, such as MATLAB/Simulink, LabVIEW, and other similar tools.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and resolve complex technical issues.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain project schedules, budgets, and resource allocation plans
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?