Accounting & Finance
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Assistant Controller will maintain a high level of analytical insight. You will lead our Corporate Accounting team and holistically be responsible for our month end close and accounting operations. You will manage the teams of GL/Close (Revenue, Inventory, and GL accounting), and Operational Accounting (includes AP, AR, Payroll Accounting, Consolidations). You will also partner closely with our Technical Accounting team to ensure the integrity and timeliness of our financial audits, as well as the technical entries impacting our close. This role reports into the Corporate Controller.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Manage the monthly close cycle ensuring timeliness, accuracy and adherence to internal controls for a public company
- Ensure high quality of work performed across general ledger including revenues, opex, payroll, accounts payable, inventory and stock based compensation
- Manage the entire financial statement audit process, overseeing preparation/delivery, and coordinating with external auditors
- Prepare, review and analyzing monthly reporting packages to understand trends and ensure compliance with US GAAP
- Ownership and maintenance of internal controls, business process documentation and policy updates
- Drive a continuous process improvement to identify and streamline accounting operations, monthly close processes, and financial reporting
- Act as key business partner working cross-functionally to support current and new business strategies, manage risk, and build and maintain scalable accounting processes
- Hire, train and mentor talent to build a highly functioning accounting team
- Manage key service provider relationships with auditors, outsourced accountants, technical accounting advisory, and strategic partners
- Streamline our month-end close cycle and scale our accounting operations
- Refine our accrual process in partnership with Finance and all cross-functional teams
- Review technical accounting areas including tax, debt, equity, and lease accounting
- Partner closely with the Finance team to support budget vs. actuals analysis
- Oversee the corporate accounting teams projects and initiatives
- Ensure the Accounting team supports business growth initiatives by partnering with the Operations, Supply Chain, Engineering teams to align the accounting team’s reporting and transactional volume readiness for new rocket launches and operational expansion
- Partner with Director of Accounting Operations to optimize our business systems and integrations in order to scale operations and accelerate month-end close (Odoo, Dynamics, Coupa, Floqast, and Adaptive)
- Cultivate a culture of ongoing talent development, feedback, and recognition
- Proactively assess organizational needs, strategically plan and implement changes to support and scale with the business
- 12+ years of progressive accounting experience
- You have extensive experience within the accounting functions you will oversee, strongly preferred within a public company (GL/Close, AP, AR, Consolidations), Revenue recognition including ASC 606 adoption, Inventory accounting experience, Lease accounting including ASC 842 adoption, Debt and Equity (debt issuances, stock-based compensation, and warrant accounting)
- You have the following traits: Extensive managerial experience, including experience managing managers, Team first attitude, with a collaborative and positive attitude, excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- A proactive approach to scaling processes, optimizing system-based solutions, and anticipating headcount needs
- Strategic and resourceful; you source input from your professional network and external specialists when making key decisions for our team
- Experience strongly preferred with the following systems: Dynamics, Coupa, Dynamics and FloQast
- Strong business skills and effective understanding of financial, distribution and manufacturing systems
- Ability to multi-task and drive actions to completion under strict deadlines.
- Must be able to collaborate and build positive relationships with other teams within Finance as well as cross-functionally outside Finance to effectively make recommendations, implement process improvements, etc.
- Positive “can do” attitude and highly analytical; enjoys challenges
- Detail oriented and comfortable working with large data sets
- Action-oriented and solution-driven with the ability to thrive in a fast pace environment
- Active CPA license
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?