Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
As a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, you will help design and build our launch vehicle! As part of the vehicle structures team, you’ll work on the conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, analysis, fabrication, and testing of our launch vehicle primary and secondary structures (including tanks).
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Design, analyze, manufacture and test structural components and assemblies for our current and future launch vehicles.
- Own components/sub-assemblies of our upper stage system to create design solutions from initial concept to detailed solid models and released drawing packages including documentation of assembly.
- Analyze components using CFD, FEA and hand calculations to inform mechanical/pneumatic designs.
- Create development, qualification and acceptance testing plans for your system and support execution.
- Collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team of system owners including electrical, mechanical, controls, and software engineers to support launch operations; conduct design reviews and implement feedback/obtain stakeholder buy-in and to verify and document cross-team requirements are satisfied.
- Challenge the existing assumptions and design choices, bring your own design experience and influences to our systems.
- Work with team members to define load conditions and requirements for specific assemblies and components.
- Generate detailed designs and conduct static, dynamic and modal structural analysis as required, via hand-calculations and/or computational methods.
- Work closely with team and vendors to ensure components are produced within required specifications.
- Generate test plans, and coordinate component / assembly testing and documentation to ensure components function as designed.
- Capture and synthesize structural design approaches and knowledge to improve future designs.
- Identify opportunities to increase structural efficiency and reduce mass and cost.
- Manage and track multiple priorities across vehicle structures team.
- Collaborate with Propulsion, Avionics, Mechanisms, Testing, and Infrastructure team leads.
- 5+ years' industry experience with design, manufacturing and testing of lightweight structures and mechanisms
- Hands-on experience in solid modeling / drawing release of structures, actuator mechanisms, fluid / mechanical components, and / or hydraulic systems.
- Experience in the design of components subject to high-speed aerodynamic loads.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, self-driven entrepreneurial workplace.
- Classical analysis, finite element analysis, and dynamic analysis methods to size and design aerospace components and assemblies.
- Familiarity with manufacturing, inspection, and testing processes such as conventional machining, direct metal laser sintering, brazing and welding, heat treating, x-ray, dye penetrant inspection, shock and vibration testing, etc.
- Experience with NX, Femap, and ANSYS
- BS or equivalent experience in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?