Propulsion Development Engineer
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2022
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The propulsion team designs, tests, and continuously improves upon the engine modules providing thrust necessary for each vehicle stage to deliver customer payloads into orbit. The team is comprised of talented engineers and technicians collaboratively working through the challenges of liquid propellant engine development and manufacturing. All forms of engine development, qualification and acceptance tests are conducted within our Alameda facility.
As a Development Engineer within propulsion, you will take early stage conceptual designs and see them through to flight-qualified systems. Data processing, conducting on-site testing operations, and supporting remote launch operations will be routine activities. You will also be tasked with anomaly root cause determination and provide corrective actions. Your responsibilities will include the testing of subassemblies and integrated rocket engine systems.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Architect test plans and define test objectives tied to performance requirements.
- Navigate hardware through checkouts and test operations.
- Troubleshoot problems as they arise. Determine root cause and take corrective action.
- Analyze test data, and make informed decisions on next steps.
- Communicate findings through data reviews while generating thorough documentation.
Why We Value You
- You have 3+ years of industry-relevant data analysis experience
- You have experience reading and creating P&ID's
- You have a systems-level understanding of mechanical, fluidic, electrical, and logical interactions
- You are capable of troubleshooting issues with test hardware, and identifying root cause in failures
- You have experience creating test plans, conducting tests, and presenting results in data reviews
- You are competent in data processing using MATLAB or Python
- You have experience with data acquisition systems and instrumentation equipment (pressure transducers, thermocouples, flow meters, accelerometers, load cells)
- You have a fundamental understanding of common fluid and electrical components (valves, regulators, solenoids, relays)
- Experience with cryogenic and pressurized systems
- Experience architecting and building test stands
- Writing test procedures and meticulous documentation
- Automation of hardware testing and data processing
- Control room / console experience
- Skilled in cross-team coordination
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, self-driven entrepreneurial workplace where you get your hands dirty working directly with hardware
- You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.