Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Storage
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Storage Foundation team in Airbnb’s Infrastructure organization owns the following core services under Data Platform:
- A highly available, low-latency, distributed, multi-tenant K/V storage layer for Airbnb user profiling, Search, ML, pricing teams, supporting million-level read QPS, 99.9+% availability across thousands of customer tables.
- A distributed coordination service across global regions that is scalable, reliable, performant to support many mission-critical systems (MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Flink, Druid), built on top of Zookeeper and etcd.
- Set of horizontal management services that manage OpenSearch and ElasticCache clusters for hundreds of Airbnb production clusters, at million+ IOPS and million+ indexing QPS.
The Difference You Will Make:
We’re looking to add Staff Engineers who can grow to be a Technical Leader to solve broad technical challenges the team has to tackle. As a Senior technical contributor, you will bring a unique skill set, experience, thought leadership and technical expertise to our organization, and start by (1) being part of the engineering team to build V2 of our K/V store on top of open-source TiDB and TiKV, and adding features like multi-tenant cost attribution, large-scale bulk loading etc (2) owning and managing OpenSearch/Elasticache clusters for Airbnb in order to generalize Airbnb’s search/caching scenarios, and participating in driving the roadmap to design a horizontal service layer that effectively manages hundreds of OpenSearch/Elasticache customers.
A Typical Day:
- Built a fault-tolerant ingestion layer on top of TiDB to ingest TBs of data with minimal impact on online traffic
- Management layer for Zookeeper to manage/upgrade multiple Zookeeper clusters within Airbnb.
- Work with AWS to devise Redis cache upgrade and multi-tenancy roadmap and manage hundreds of ElasticCache customers inside Airbnb.
- 9+ years of relevant industry experience in a fast paced, high growth tech environment.
- Knack for writing clean, readable, testable, maintainable code.
- Hands-on experience and expertise in building and operating distributed storage and services.
- Ability to understand and decompose large-scale distributed systems and figure out monitoring metrics, failure scenarios and debug them in an efficient manner.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills with a customer-first mindset, ability to abstract various customer requests into a platform vision and solution.
- Experience in designing architecture that is long-term and evolvable.
- Knowledge of public cloud platforms (AWS, ElasticSearch, ElasticCache, Google Cloud Platform, etc) and open source preferred but not strictly required.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Something looks off?