Senior Legal Counsel, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong & Taiwan (SEAHKTW)
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb’s Legal team embodies the company’s innovative, forward-thinking spirit. At the frontier of the sharing economy, Airbnb is breaking new ground in matters of policy, law, and government relations. Where some see obstacles, we see the opportunity to find creative, practical solutions, right at the cutting edge. Our adventurous, fast-moving legal team is committed to building a team of talented, collaborative and self-motivated legal professionals across the globe who believe in Airbnb’s mission and leading as a 21st century company.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are in search of a Senior Counsel to cover the South East Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan (SEAHKTW) region. This role reports to the Associate General Counsel, APAC, and serves as legal partner to many other teams outside Legal. Collaboration will be a key attribute as this role will work very closely with the other members of the legal team both in the region and globally. This role is based in Singapore.
A Typical Day:
- Act as an effective and trusted partner to the fast-paced and high-performing SEAHKTW team.
- Deliver clear, effective and practical legal advice to the various business functions comprising the SEAHKTW team. These include business development, public policy, marketing, and communications.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the SEAHKTW legal landscape regarding planning and short term rental accommodation, consumer protection, competition, marketing, discrimination, digital platforms/e-commerce, employment, privacy, tax, dispute resolution, and law enforcement. Be attuned to legal developments in SEAHKTW in these areas.
- Be adept in making sensible legal risk assessments which consider practical solutions to mitigate legal risk whilst keeping business priorities at the forefront.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation/tribunal matters and other user disputes in SEAHKTW.
- Effectively collaborate with regional and global colleagues, whether in APAC or globally, to (i) provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global perspectives and needs; and (ii) participate in global workstreams.
- Help design, implement and iterate legal team processes to keep up a high level of efficiency.
- Help manage team resources to align with business priorities and objectives.
- Active championship of Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity.
- Support for Airbnb’s commitment to building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace, free of discrimination and harassment.
- Possesses a bachelor of law or its equivalent, and has qualified to practice in a major jurisdiction.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English is essential.
- At least 9 years’ post-qualification experience, including at least 5 years’ relevant in-house experience in an MNC, preferably in the tech / digital space with prior experience in areas such as consumer protection and e-commerce.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in navigating and excelling in highly ambiguous environments.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Ability to spot key risks, analyse and practically assess risk, and provide actionable recommendations.
- Flexibility and willingness to work with all levels of the organization, and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, ready to grow and learn, and receptive to feedback.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- Highly collaborative with excellent communication and listening skills.
- Organised and methodical, and able to effectively manage projects, audits and investigations, and crafting workflows, protocols and processes.
- Self-starter, driven and able to work autonomously while prioritizing competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Empathetic, caring and humble.
- Entrepreneurial and business-orientated.
- Adaptable individual possessing high integrity, excellent judgment, a sense of humour and a love for fun and adventure.
- International travel may be required.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.