Staff Software Engineer - Maps
North Denmark Region, Denmark · Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
This is a high impact role for an expert engineer and strong collaborator to help drive the vision and delivery of Uber’s Base Maps platform that is used to power all of Uber’s rides and delivery products globally. The Base Map team’s charter is to build solutions so that changes to planet wide road network and other map data are continuously ingested, enriched and refreshed while serving hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips by drivers and couriers all around the globe. You will have the chance to tackle deep technical challenges and have a broad impact across Uber’s business.Staff engineers at Uber are driven and pragmatic technologists who are able to craft scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models but also approachable leaders with vision within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of hardworking engineers while also delivering uniquely exciting projects.What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership to a passionate, experienced, and diverse engineering team
- Work with the team and partners to define the technical vision of the Base Maps team and influence the broader architecture of the Uber Maps organization.
- See the big picture and identify inefficiencies and opportunities for meaningful improvements across the Maps Platform and Uber as a whole.
- Drive alignment between teams on architecture and responsibility delineation between platforms and product services.
- Set the standard for engineering across your org to produce best in class of code, effective documentation, testing, and monitoring.
- Technically strong, with 8+ years of experience building highly scalable software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience writing detailed technical documents.
- Experience with Java, Go or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.