Principal Engineer, Security & Privacy
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2023
About The TeamOur mission is to make Uber the industry model for consumer privacy through differentiated products and services, engineering standards, policy, and open communications. We are focusing on building both a privacy technology platform and user-facing products that give our users more control over their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business. About The RolePrincipal Engineers make a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology domains spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only role models, but also empathic leaders. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of passionate engineers while also delivering uniquely challenging projects. A principal-level engineering role at Uber is special. Engineers at this level represent the top 2% of Engineers at Uber.The cybersecurity landscape is constantly evolving, and with the adoption of ML/AI/GAI backed by extensive heterogeneous data, security & privacy threats are inevitably broadened. With your deep and comprehensive expertise across major security domains, as a principal security engineer you will be Uber’s key security practitioner lead that will architect, implement and scale industry-leading security solutions for the entire company. You will collaborate with security leaders and with the broader engineering organization to ensure that the technologies and systems that Uber depends on are maintained securely. What You’ll Do
- Provide leadership across security & privacy engineering & architecture
- Design, build and maintain systems that influence and define a broad spectrum of security domains. These include secure SDLC, application security, vulnerability management, enterprise security with a focus on endpoints and enterprise SaaS, modern identity and access management, and cybersecurity operations with threat intelligence.
- Set an innovative vision and leverage your clear and broad understanding of the industry security landscape to collaborate with engineering security senior leaders to drive long-term achievements of security & privacy implementation
- Provide technical leadership for the security organization and partner with the security domain leads to identify threats and shape cross-team security programs that will make swift and wide-reaching impacts on the business
- Build innovative systems that scale to hundreds of millions of users by using highly available distributed systems and sophisticated security & privacy technologies and standards. Create solutions that are scalable, repeatable, maintainable and secure.
- Serve as Uber’s security domain expert by maintaining documentation and actively participating in security policy and standards reviews. Offer guidance to teams on their underlying implementation and operations to achieve ‘secure-by-default’.
- Engage with other extraordinary engineers internally on problem identification and formulation. Guide multi-functional product and engineering teams to deliver impactful technology solutions and drive innovation and efficiency within the Security & Privacy organization.
- Masters Degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field
- 15 years of full-time security engineering work experience
- Experience building and implementing security & privacy frameworks, privacy risk management, privacy reviews, governance and compliance
- Experience building highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant security products and platforms in a high-availability environment
- Experience with security & privacy enhancing technologies (PETs), e.g. differential privacy, synthetic data generation, anonymization, data deletion pipelines, data minimization
- Experience with common controls, application, and infrastructure privacy vulnerabilities and mitigations
- Experience working with all levels of management, both internally and externally
- Experience collaborating with and influencing senior and/or executive partners
- Experience with articulating a clear vision that balances decision-making, emotional intelligence, and data analysis. Proven record of implementing this vision in a business environment at scale.
- Track record of prioritizing and driving multiple work-streams forward simultaneously