Counsel, Product & Commercial, APAC
Macquarie Park NSW 2113, Australia · Sydney, Australia · Australia
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2023
#GreatMindsDon’tThinkAlike At Uber, we take pride in our diversity and working environment that sees you as more than just a person that can do the job, but a unique individual that can level up our organization with a perspective only you can offer. Uber provides a truly open culture that encourages all to voice their thoughts. About The TeamOver the last 10 years in APAC, we have seen an evolution of legal and regulatory challenges. From being a start-up bringing our service into new countries and cities, we're now focused on working closely with regulators and partnering with them to build a stronger and more sustainable ecosystem for Uber. We #SeetheForestandtheTrees by being able to know the details and the technical legal issues while also keeping in mind the bigger picture of what the business is trying to achieve. About The RoleThe APAC Product & Commercial team oversees all product related work in the APAC as well as providing key leadership on APAC-wide commercial deals and strategic projects. We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic product legal counsel to support the APAC Mobility and Delivery businesses! You will be working with the brightest product managers, engineers and business stakeholders to create and maintain the best product experience for users, whilst effectively mitigating risk. This position can be based in Sydney or Hong Kong and will report to the Sr. Counsel, Product & Commercial, APAC. Your Impact In Role
- Managing the legal reviews of new products or features for the Mobility and Delivery businesses across APAC. Provide timely and commercial counsel to your stakeholders and implement mitigation strategies to manage legal risk.
- Project manage complex product roll outs and assignments across APAC. Work with local legal teams and specialist legal counsels to represent the region on all things Product related.
- Act as a liaison between different cross functional departments and work collaboratively but decisively to present solutions to the business.
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts, terms, templates and playbooks on various commercial deals and product related initiatives.
- Relevant post-qualification experience at a top law firm or in-house (ideally 5-7 years, preferably with in-house experience). Preferable if you have prior product counselling experience in tech and/or all-round experience dealing with a wide range of legal issues and practice areas (for example:, advertising, consumer protection, litigation, antitrust, privacy, employment).
- Ability to translate complex legal issues and ambiguity into clear and simple advice for a variety of audiences.
- Comfortable dealing with the unknown and not afraid to think ‘out of the box’. Adept at providing solutions which balance the strategic objective with risk mitigations.
- Experience working in a fast paced, high functioning environment. Ability to think on your feet and make quick decisions.
- We provide our employees with monthly Uber credits to use against the full value of Eats & Rides (whichever is applicable in your market) plus a 17% discount (excluding non-restaurant food deliveries) on orders through our App (which exists even when your credits expire).
- Family comes first, and our paid parental leave (minimum 18 weeks full pay with additional benefits or paid leave depending on your location) is accessible for all new parents from day 1 (with no tenure requirement). New parents at Uber will also receive access to Cleo, flexible return-to-work options, and additional Uber credits during their period of leave (because let's face it, who wants to cook with a little one around?)
- Starting a family is a magical journey - At the same time, it can be challenging and stressful. Employees are eligible to reimburse costs relating to infertility treatment, egg/sperm freezing, adoption and surrogacy up to a lifetime benefit limit.
- Reset, Refresh and Recharge: we have a generous paid leave policy, providing paid leave in addition to the statutory annual leave depending on your location (excluding certain roles in the CommOps org). Additional eligibility requirements apply.
- Personal health and wellbeing - depending on location, you can access a healthcare plan or reimbursement for a plan of your choice up to a nominated value. You will also receive a monthly wellbeing allowance to use throughout the year across a range of items including; gym / fitness memberships, mindfulness apps, fitness equipment, ski passes and more. We also provide Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) that connect you to resources & support.
- Uber has always been a flexible organisation and COVID has only amplified this. Our global policy is 50% of time in office, and employees can apply to be fully remote if you think that’s best for you. We also provide opportunities to work for one month a year in another Uber location. These opportunities are tailored to specific individuals, roles and teams, subject to applicable terms and conditions.
- When you are in the office, we have an amazing range of facilities accessible for all Uber employees. Our dedicated facilities teams host regular events and opportunities to connect, as well as arranging the food program; catered lunch / breakfast (location dependant) and you’ll find our kitchens fully stocked with a variety of healthy (& not so healthy) snacks & drinks.
See more open positions at Uber
Something looks off?