Director, Product Design - Slack
To get the best candidate experience, please consider applying for a maximum of 3 roles within 12 months to ensure you are not duplicating efforts.
Job CategoryUser Experience
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good – you’ve come to the right place.
We’re Salesforce, the Customer Company, inspiring the future of business with AI+ Data +CRM. Leading with our core values, we help companies across every industry blaze new trails and connect with customers in a whole new way. And, we empower you to be a Trailblazer, too — driving your performance and career growth, charting new paths, and improving the state of the world. If you believe in business as the greatest platform for change and in companies doing well and doing good– you’ve come to the right place.
We are hiring a Design Director at Slack to lead the Canvas team within the Foundations pillar. We’re looking for someone who can shape the design vision, manage a team of designers, and roll up their sleeves to design thoughtful and polished experiences.
Foundations is responsible for Slack’s core user experience. That includes the underlying design systems that power the entirety of the desktop and mobile app experience, our overarching information architecture, and core features like messaging, channels, search, canvas, and files.
Launched earlier this year, canvas is one of the biggest features we’ve ever added to Slack’s core experience. It is an editorial surface that helps teams organize, curate, and share information. Canvases are closely woven into Slack’s core experience. This team is focused on realizing canvas’ full potential as the place where information and tooling come together, delivered seamlessly to the right audience.
Product Design Directors serve a vital role at Slack: they elevate the health, growth, and development of their team, as well as care for the overall business. They have a passion for design excellence expressed through thoughtful creative direction, direct contribution, and leading by example.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture. We appreciate design leaders who are curious, humble, think deeply, speak clearly, and thrive on collaboration and feedback. If this sounds like a good fit for you, send us a nice hello with links to your work and experience.
What you will be doing
- Leading a team of Product Designers focused on the Canvas experience.
- Partnering closely with product, engineering and other cross-functional teams to drive design vision and strategy. Help turn business objectives into customer centered problems and steer team strategy.
- Being hands on in the design work. This entails everything from creating provocative design concepts to building prototypes to taking features from roadmap to launch.
- Creating flexible and scalable frameworks and guidelines for rapid experimentation
- Designing, guiding and driving collaboration processes
- Setting a high bar for quality and help teams ship with that quality, without compromising velocity.
- Meeting regularly with designers to provide and gather feedback on project progress
- Coaching, mentoring and providing career development, work satisfaction and happiness to your team.
- Ensuring that projects are properly staffed based on scope, skills and timing.
- Define and drive design hiring goals. Recruit and interview new Product Designers, review incoming candidates, and actively improve our design hiring process.
What you should have
- 3+ years of experience in a role managing a team of designers; 8+ years of product design experience (experience with editors a plus)
- Extensive and relevant experience working across mobile and desktop platforms
- A demonstrable foundation in typography, interaction design, visual design, and design ideation
- Prototyping experience either through prototyping tools or coding
- Experience leading and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Experience leading design studios, design sprints, team brainstorming and ideation exercises
- A nuanced understanding of diverse and inclusive hiring practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bonus: experience designing and building editors or creation tools
If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form.
At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn more about Equality at www.equality.com and explore our company benefits at www.salesforcebenefits.com.
Salesforce is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. Salesforce does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Salesforce will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Salesforce.
Salesforce welcomes all.Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Salesforce will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.For California-based roles, the base salary hiring range for this position is $210,800 to $305,600.Compensation offered will be determined by factors such as location, level, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Certain roles may be eligible for incentive compensation, equity, benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.salesforcebenefits.com.