Fraud Data Scientist
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
About the team:
Insights from data power most decisions at Robinhood. This Data Scientist -Analytics role at Robinhood will work with partners in product, marketing, engineering, finance, design, and compliance to understand and analyze data from all parts of our business to power how our product works and feels. Our company trajectory is defined by the systems, tools, and analytics powered by our exceptional team.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including front-line fraud investigators, product managers, and engineering teams, to understand business requirements and efficiently deploy fraud models into production quickly and without defect.
- Use Kubernetes and Databricks to orchestrate and manage fraud modeling infrastructure and workflows. Experience with machine learning workflow management is a plus.
- Validate, monitor, and evaluate the performance of fraud models, making necessary adjustments and improvements as needed.
- Apply knowledge of web application development, vulnerabilities in web apps, and forensic analysis to enhance fraud prevention strategies.
- Conduct in-depth data analysis to identify potential fraud risks, including first-party fraud and synthetic identity fraud, and develop mitigation plans.
- Respond to and mitigate fraud threats as part of a rapid response group, ensuring swift action to thwart fraudsters with minimal impact to our customers.
- Produce well-written documentation, including model white papers and findings resolutions, to communicate complex concepts and analysis results to the data science team, business partners, and regulators.
- Familiarity with fraud domains and banking processes, including account takeover, ACH fraud, debit/credit card fraud, first-party fraud, and synthetic identity fraud.
- Demonstrated expertise in building and deploying fraud models using large datasets, with a strong track record of success in fraud detection and prevention.
- Knowledge of model risk governance and experience collaborating with model validation teams to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- BA/BS/MS degree in a quantitative field such as mathematics, economics, statistics, engineering or natural sciences (or equivalent research experience) with an expected graduation date in 2022
- Excellent programming skills, including familiarity with either Python (numpy, scipy, pandas) or R programming languages
- Familiarity with SQL (preferred for new grads and a plus for interns)
- Experience with Tableau, Looker, and/or Mode
- Solid understanding of statistical analysis
- Experience communicating data driven insights
- 1 year of experience working in a research setting in academic or commercial setting
- Passion for working and learning in a fast-growing company
- Strong customer empathy
- Intense sense of curiosity
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan.
US Zone 1: $157000 - $185000 per hour
US Zone 2: $139000 - $163000 per hour
US Zone 3: $122000 - $144000 per hour
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.