Executive Editor, Sherwood Media
Join a leading fintech company that’s democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
As we continue to build...
We’re seeking curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. Joining now means helping shape our vision, structures and systems; playing a key-role as we launch into our ambitious future.
Sherwood Media is Robinhood’s new, independent media brand for news and information about the markets, economics, business, technology, and the culture of money. Sherwood Media is building on the success of Snacks — our daily markets and business newsletter — which has one of the largest audiences in the country.
Sherwood will launch a suite of new editorial offerings throughout 2023, complementing Snacks with more always-on news updates and analysis, original reporting, new newsletter offerings, social-first content, and live events.
About the team:
The preferred location for this position is in or around Robinhood's offices in Menlo Park, CA or New York, NY with in-office work capabilities, as may be required by management.
Sherwood is one of the fastest growing news sources in the industry. Our team strives to make financial & business news more accessible, entertaining and relevant by changing the way it is curated, shared and consumed by the next generation. We serve tens of millions of readers and lead news efforts across newsletters, social media, on the web, and within the Robinhood app. We’re invested in the 24-hour news cycle, but approach our stories with care and patience, preferring intelligent analysis and actionable insights over sensational headlines or social media-driven hot takes.
You're an editorial leader with experience building teams, nurturing relationships, and developing editorial strategy across multiple platforms. You will report directly to the President & Editor-in-chief and should have experience working with revenue teams and a strong understanding of media business models, especially newsletter-driven platforms. You have a passion for business and markets news, and are looking for a way to bring a fresh perspective to the space – particularly around technology and the emerging / evolving culture of how money moves today. You should be comfortable as the face of an editorial operation and have a broad network of like-minded peers and collaborators.
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Directly manage the Sherwood media editorial team, including the Snacks editorial team
- Work with the Editor-in-chief to develop hiring strategies, coverage plans, and opportunities for experimentation and innovation in editorial
- Create process and workflows for pitching and uphold/establish editorial guidelines and best practices
- Maintain and expand a network of freelance contributors and industry experts as contributors and collaborators
- Represent Sherwood media on industry panels, in interviews, and in other visible opportunities such as networking events and conferences
- Apply industry expertise to identify new areas and formats for coverage
- Establish content distribution strategy on-platform and across social for optimal reach
- Oversee audience development teams
- Monitor and strategize around content performance analytics across platforms
- Lead hiring and content strategy for editorial team
- Work with business and editorial leadership to identify and execute new business opportunities including events, video, and more
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent work experience leading a markets / business / tech focused newsroom
- Experience collaborating with business leadership in ad-run business models
- Experience hiring, managing, and nurturing editorial teams
- Previous experience covering financial / markets / business news, including working in, and reacting to breaking-news situations
- A love for news and keen editorial judgment. You’re eager to make people’s financial lives better through news that delivers key insights and education
- Quick. Clear. Engaging. You’re able to break down financial concepts and make them easy to understand and digestible for a broad audience
- You have an ownership mentality. You're constantly looking for your next story, and are driven to hone your craft and find better ways to serve customers
- You prioritize quality and pay strong attention to detail, factual precision, and nuance
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally between business, legal, and product to advocate for editorial needs
- Experience hosting / leading industry events and conferences
- A passion for supporting writers at every stage of their career
The expected salary range for this role is based on the location where the work will be performed and is aligned to one of 3 compensation zones. This role is also eligible to participate in a Robinhood bonus plan and Robinhood’s equity plan.
US Zone 1: $170000 - $200000
US Zone 2: $150000 - $176000
US Zone 3: $133000 - $156000
Base pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. You can view comp zones for our US office locations in the table below. For other locations not listed, compensation can be discussed with your recruiter during the interview process.
Office locations (by comp zone)
US Zone 1: Menlo Park, NYC, Seattle, Washington DC
US Zone 2: Denver, Westlake (Dallas), Chicago
US Zone 3: Lake Mary
We’re looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you’re ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission—we’d love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Click here to learn more about Robinhood’s Benefits.
Something looks off?