Staff Software Engineer, Booking & Pricing
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join
Guest Displays & Platforms team
The Guest Displays & Platforms team owns pricing and availability across all product surfaces as well as the main product description page (PDP) that brings together all the listing details, and anchors the guest booking flow. On the pricing side we compute and present the prices the guest sees based on all applicable host settings, platform fees, and taxes for the particular guest and listing location. On the availability side we compute availability based on applicable host settings, existing reservations and policy-based controls.
As a Guest Displays & Platforms Staff Engineer, you’ll lead the development and refinement of major subsystems powering the core user journey for Airbnb guests. This includes developing new and refined product features, supporting day-to-day operations, identifying patterns and building systems and patterns to streamline development and increase quality over time, performing and presenting technical & product deep dives to relevant stakeholders, and strategic planning.
At the staff+ level, our engineers are responsible for establishing a technical vision and then delivering a solution that is flexible, always available, efficient, and scales with the needs of the business. Each individual brings their own unique skill set, experiences, thought leadership and technical expertise to solve these technical challenges for Airbnb.
The Difference You Will Make
- Design the future state of our technical systems by combining a strategic understanding of our highest level product goals with a deep understanding of our existing systems to inform the right technical and product tradeoffs for both short and long term
- Lead engineers—both inside and outside your immediate team—in building out these technical solutions
- Participate in the development of product and UX requirements by engaging early and often with designers, product managers and other stakeholders to help steer teams on the most efficient path towards overall goals
- Nurture a culture of technical quality from design, through code review, to production operations
- Mentor other engineers in developing their technical and collaboration skills
- Identify and propose solutions to problems coming in the way of technical and product engineering excellence
- Collaborate with internal teams across Search, Checkout, Reservations, Host Settings, Listings, Payments, Tax, Cities, Trust and others
- 9+ years of relevant software development industry experience in a fast-paced tech environment
- Expertise with backend systems in large-scale service-oriented architectures
- Good judgment in making tradeoffs to balance short-term business needs with long-term technical quality
- Strong understanding of how deep backend systems are expressed in the UX shown to customers
- End-to-end mentality that transcends team boundaries and helps find globally optimal solutions
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering organization
- Passionate about efficiency, availability, system quality and user experience
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can be employed in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment to Inclusion & Belonging
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.